A little about the history… [in the Bahamas]

Share
[Webmaster’s Note: The following text is from the Benedictine Volunteers Bahamas web site [ View ]. Father Mel Taylor left the Bahamas after being confronted at a Nassau church on June 3, 2012 [ View ] after Archbishop Patrick Pinder failed to meet the needs of one of Father Mel Taylor’s alleged victims. Brother Paul Richards recently left the abbey and was removed as abbey spokesperson. According to the parent of a monk at Saint John’s, allegations of misconduct by Brother Paul Richards were discussed with the monks around the time of Richards’ departure. [ View ].

The Monastic history in the Bahamas started long before the Monastery was erected. About the Fall of 1890, Archbishop Corrigan asked the Abbot of Saint John’s Abbey, Collegeville MN, to assume responsibility for the Bahamas mission. Abbot Alexius Edelbrock, O.S.B. asked Fr. Chrysostom Schreiner O.S.B. to become the first permanent Catholic priest in the Bahamas. His works were many as he labored to spread the Good News around the islands of the Bahamas. Many more Benedictine monks and sisters came to help grow and support the Catholic mission in the Bahamas. In 1945 Saint Augustines College and Monastery was founded by Fr. Fredric Frey O.S.B. Over the years the Benedictines worked to support the Church, education, and youth development around the islands. They farmed the land, raised bees, and had a successful bakery. Sadly, in 2007, the Monastery was closed and the property deeded to the diocese. Father Mel Tayler O.S.B continued to serve in the diocese until he returned home to Saint Johns Abbey in 2012 However, in 2012, with the help of Archbishop Christopher Pinder and Brother Paul Richards O.S.B., four benedictine volunteers were sent down to live in the monastery and help continue the Benedictine mission.

(Visited 154 times, 1 visits today)
Topics: Mel Taylor, Patrick Pinder, Paul Richards

Comments are closed.