Anonymous Tips & FeedbackIf you have information about misconduct, please consider leaving a message via the Feedback page.
Search by Topic
Search by Date
Search The Web Site
Most Recent Adds/Changes
- Jury acquits ex-priest accused of sexual abuse in Hastings church
- Father Richard Eckroth Dies; Abbey Silent
- The List
- Visiting Monk: Rev. Michael Brunovsky, OSB
- Former Hastings priest to be tried this week in sex abuse case
- Abbey Silenced Alleged Tauscher Victim
- Hoefgen's Brother Also Perp Priest; Mom a Nun
- Police search St. John's Abbey for Hoefgen files
- Sister Irene Nowell and Abbot John Klassen to Speak
- Vulnerable Adult Victims Abandoned
- Tracking the Public Lists
- (KARE 11) Settlement May Shed New Light - Video
- 2 abbey priests leave jobs that involved the public
- Confidentiality Clauses No Longer In Effect
- St. John's Abbey/Prep clergy abuse settlement hits snag
- Father Licari Lied to Victim, Covered Up Abuse
- The 2015 List: Nineteen Names
- Rev. Anthony Ruff Still on SJU Staff
- (Star Tribune) St. John's Abbey to Open Sex-Abuse Files
- (MPR) In memoir, St. John's Abbey priest admits abusing high school student
- Tarlton Autobiography Excerpt #1
- (MPR) St. John's Abbey settles sex abuse suit
- (SC Times) Clergy Sex Abuse Lawsuit Settled
Category Archives: Fran Hoefgen
“Proving beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime occurred 24-26 years ago without significant corroborating physical evidence of the crime itself is always a difficult task,” Backstrom said. “Without such corroborating evidence the jury must render its decision based primarily … Continue reading
A former Hastings priest accused of sexual abuse 25 years ago is set to go on trial this week.
An investigator from the Hastings Police Department served a search warrant last week at St. John’s Abbey in connection with the prosecution of former abbey monk Fran Hoefgen.
Since 2002, twenty-three members (see chart, below) of the Saint John’s monastic community have been publicly listed as having credible allegations of misconduct.
Media Advisory: Abuse Survivor and Attorneys Announce Breakthrough Settlement Involving St. John’s Abbey
“The credit for achieving this groundbreaking settlement rests with Doe 2, for having the courage to find his voice, stand up for truth and demand transparency with accountability,” said Jeff Anderson, one of Doe 2’s attorneys.
(SC Times) One name added to that list this week is Michael Bik, a former monk from St. John’s Abbey. Bik’s name appeared previously on a list of abbey monks with substantiated allegations of abuse against them. Bik was permanently … Continue reading
A priest accused of repeatedly raping a Hastings altar boy in the late 1980s and early ’90s pleaded not guilty in a Dakota County courtroom Friday.
Last week, we received a tip from a former parishioner that admitted child molester Fran Hoefgen lived with Father David Ostrowski at the Church of the Holy Cross rectory in Minneapolis around 2005. In 2005, Fran Hoefgen was still a priest … Continue reading
(StarTribune) A onetime priest at a Catholic parish in Hastings was charged Wednesday with repeatedly sexually abusing an altar boy in the late 1980s and into early 1990s, acts that allegedly occurred after he was removed from a central Minnesota … Continue reading
(SC Times) A former St. John’s Abbey monk who then served St. Cloud diocese as a priest was charged Wednesday in Dakota County, accused of sexually abusing an altar boy in Hastings.
According to archdiocesan priest Rev. David Ostrowski, former Saint John’s priest Fran Hoefgen is “not a pedophile.” Rev. David Ostrowski and Fran Hoefgen live together in Columbia Heights.
(KMSP / Fox 9) – Former Rev. Francis Hoefgen was charged Wednesday in Dakota County with two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct in connection with allegations he sexually abused a former altar boy.
In an October, 31, 1992 letter to Rev. Kevin McDonough, Abbot Jerome Theisen from Saint John’s Abbey wrote:
NOTICE OF PRESS CONFERENCE 2:00 P.M. TODAY IN HASTINGS FORMER CATHOLIC PRIEST TO BE CHARGED WITH SEXUAL ABUSE IN DAKOTA COUNTY
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis released the following statement Tuesday:
The following files were released on Monday, May 19, 2014:
According to a 2002 St. Paul Pioneer Press article: “Although the Rev. Francis Hoefgen admitted to police in 1984 that he had sexual encounters with a teenager in the St. Cloud area, the Stearns County Attorney’s Office did not prosecute the … Continue reading
More details are expected Monday about five monks from Saint John’s Abbey who are accused of sexually abusing children.
Since the 1930s, fifty-two (52) monks and eleven (12) other members of the Saint John’s community have been accused of sexual abuse and/or other misconduct. Another nineteen (19) men with strong ties to St. John’s have also been accused of misconduct.
(CityPages) For four years he went into Minnesota parishes that were either struggling financially, or from sexual abuse allegations, and helped smooth things over. Then his conscience caught up with him.